Fearless


Can you imagine your life without fear? I can't really either, which is why I was so determined to read this book. This was my very first Max Lucado book, and well, "Hello new favorite author.."

Once I started reading, it was hard to put the book down. Max has a clear voice in his writing, and his words on paper seem to create a conversation as if you're chatting over coffee. He's funny, serious, and profound--his writing is definitely a God-given talent.

"Each sunrise seems to bring fresh reasons for fear." Isn't that the truth? I'm probably nothing short from being a worrywart, so I made it a point to digested every chapter of this packed with scripture, courage, faith, meat and potatoes book.

Fearless is a mixture of cross referencing real-life scenarios with spot-on analogies, stories, and encouragement from scripture relating to fear itself. You can tell Max is a Seasoned follower of Christ, for his knowledge of the written Word is so eloquently orchestrated with each chapter, analogy, and story, that it intentionally stands out to the reader--what you read hits so close to home.

Here is a few encouraging words from Jesus found in the first chapter of Fearless and later discussed in further detail;


"Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul." Matthew 10:28


"Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me....I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." John 14:1, 3 NLT


"Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven." Matthew 9:2 NASB


He is always calling us to courage.






Max basically corrals our Maker's words of encouragement and strategically places it throughout his book, Fearless. After every chapter you build confidence, courage, and faith.

In the second chapter, I got chicken skin when I read:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows (Matt. 10:29-31 NIV)." (p. 23) 


Here's a paragraph from chapter three that bellowed deep:

"Fear, mismanaged, leads to sin. Sin leads to hiding. Since we've all sinned, we all hide, not in bushes, but in eighty-hour workweeks, temper tantrums, and religious busyness. We avoid contact with God." (p.35)


Ouch. Ain't that the truth? The point is, the closer we are to God, the further away our fears will naturally be.


Allow me to close, by sharing one last excerpt found in chapter four about worry accomplishing nothing...


"That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life--whether you have enough." Matthew 6:25 NLT


"Whether you have enough. Shortfalls and depletions inhabit our trails. Not enough time, luck, credit, wisdom, intelligence. We are running out of everything, it seems, and so we worry. But worry doesn't work."


"Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?" (vv. 26-27 NLT) (p.45)


Worrying accomplishes nothing. 


Those are just a few random excerpts through fourth chapter. Imagine how fed you will be after reading the book; my cup runneth over! 


So with the viral fear-induced world we live in today, fear of being sued, finishing last, going broke, the mole on the back, and the sound of the clock as it ticks us closer to the grave, I encourage you to read Fearless, as it truly will point you in the direction we are all striving for.

Give your worries to Jesus--when Christ is great, our fears are not. The longer we live in Him, the greater He becomes in us.

Free yourself from fear!

Let's pray, not panic.

PS: There is a discussion guide in the back of the book -- LOVE THAT! I actually didn't notice it until I was finishing chapter three or four, otherwise I would have completed it chapter by chapter. Not only is this discussion guide great on an individual level, but also for small group studies &/or weekly ministries you may be involved in etc.


posted under |

1 love notes:

Vanessa said... [Reply]

Was this the book we chatted about over lunch? We found a Christian bookstore this past weekend and I'm thinking about picking it up.

The hubbs says I have to finish ALL my other books before I get a new one. He must not know me that well LOL. I'm a reading MACHINE!

OK- enough about me.

Thanks for this review! love ya!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

This place is all about Jennʻs Adventures: a Maui Girl who has evolved in to the modern day female nomad! Departing from her home in 2005 until the beginning of 2011, only the leave again less than a year later. Follow Jenn's Adventures in life, healthy living, travel, and love. To learn even more about Jennʻs Adventures, read this! Thanks for stopping by, please stay awhile & say ALOHA!

past adventures!



mis·cel·la·ne·ous

[mis-uh-ley-nee-uhs]
–adjective


Fitness Blog
***